Justia Lawyer Rating
Florida Association Women Lawyers
Super Lawyers
Super Lawyers Rising Stars
The Florida Bar
South Palm Beach County Bar Association
Super Lawyers Selected in 2021
ACTFL - Superior Russian Speaking Proficiency
Super Lawyers Selected in 2023

Assessing Your Home for Storm Damage

Floridian homeowners should be aware of two things: how to prepare their property for a hurricane and how to assess their property after the storm has passed. Property damage caused by hurricanes or tropical storms can sometimes be difficult to spot, but lead to serious issues down the line if not detected and repaired quickly. Here are some tips for assessing your property after the storm has passed and it is safe to do so:

Check the Interior Ceiling and Walls

Roof damage caused by a hurricane or tropical storms high winds is extremely common, which can lead to interior roof leaks. Walking through your home and examining the ceiling and walls for any bubbled paint, discoloration, or sagging may help you detect water damage caused by a roof leak before it becomes a larger problem.

Do a Walk Around of the Exterior of Your Home

Just like examining the interior of your home, the same signs of water damage may be present on the exterior of your home, indicating some form of damage. Bubbled paint, discoloration, or sagging may evidence water damage and cracks, chipped paint, or holes in the stucco may evidence damage caused by storm debris impact.

Check All of Your Windows

Damaged windows can lead to water entering your property or other issues. You should check all of your home's window frames to ensure they are still properly sealed and looking at the panes for any signs of cracking or other damage.

Inspecting the Roof for Visible Damage

If you see debris on your roof, missing or cracked shingles, or water pooling on your roof from damaged gutters, it may indicate your roof was damaged by the storm. Roof damage can lead to interior leaks and damage to your home's insulation.

If you find any damage to your home after a hurricane or tropical storm, you should contact your property insurance company to file a claim. If the damage is not significant and you have a higher hurricane deductible, you may want to contact a public adjuster or other inspector to assess your property's damage before filing a claim with your property insurance company.

If you filed a claim with your property insurance company for hurricane or tropical storm damage and they are denying, partially denying, delaying, or underpaying your claim, it may be time to contact an attorney. Contact our office today for a consultation.

This article is not intended to be legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship.

Client Reviews
"I was told by my insurance adjuster that Rina was a fabulous attorney who will fight hard for her clients and he was right. She did an outstanding job communicating with me throughout a stressful negotiation process and I was so happy with the settlement she got for me. Highly recommend the Law Offices of Rina Feld!” Mark L.
I had water damage to the inside of my home and homeowners insurance automatically rejected my claim. After giving up fighting them on my own i contacted Rina and she petsonally discussed options and explained the procedure. After about 4 months my claim was resolved , Rina worked pro bono so did not cost me a penny. I now have new ceilings ! Thoroughly recommended. Christopher D.
Rina is very efficient. She always kept me updated and worked very quickly. She took the time to explain everything thoroughly and made sure that I understood, although my primary language is Spanish. Mariel C.